From forbidden to barely acceptable, if they abandon all independent will.
This is, apparently, not a hoax.
From the Pakistani Council of Islamic ideology, the following has been issued:
Islamabad – Sharia Correspondent: The Council of Islamic Ideology (CII) concluded their 192nd meeting on Thursday with the ruling that women are un-Islamic and that their mere existence contradicted Sharia and the will of Allah. As the meeting concluded CII Chairman Maulana Muhammad Khan Shirani noted that women by existing defied the laws of nature, and to protect Islam and the Sharia women should be forced to stop existing as soon as possible. (bold added)The announcement comes a couple of days after CII’s 191st meeting where they dubbed laws related to minimum marriage age to be un-Islamic.
After declaring women to be un-Islamic, Shirani explained that there were actually two kinds of women – haraam and makrooh. “We can divide all women in the world into two distinct categories: those who are haraam and those who are makrooh. Now the difference between haraam and makrooh is that the former is categorically forbidden while the latter is really really disliked,” Shirani said.
He further went on to explain how the women around the world can ensure that they get promoted to being makrooh, from just being downright haraam. “Any woman that exercises her will is haraam, absolutely haraam, and is conspiring against Islam and the Ummah,whereas those women who are totally subservient can reach the status of being makrooh. Such is the generosity of our ideology and such is the endeavour of Muslim men like us who are the true torchbearers of gender equality,” the CII chairman added.
Officials told Khabaristan Today that the council members deliberated over various historic references related to women and concluded that each woman is a source of fitna and a perpetual enemy of Islam. They also decided that by restricting them to their subordinate, bordering on slave status, the momineen and the mujahideen can ensure that Islam continues to be the religion of peace, prosperity and gender equality. (bold added)
I ask: is this a hoax?
The council of Islamic Ideology is an organ of the government of Pakistan and has a website.
The website lists 190 meetings, the record of which is written in Arabic script, and may well be in Urdu, so I cannot tell what has been decided. If 190 meetings have been recorded, it is reasonable to suppose that the webmaster is only a little behind in recording meeting 191.
Maulana Muhamed Khan Shirani is listed on the website as the 14th chairman of this Institute, which advises the Pakistani parliament.
Its functions are described as :
As per Article 230 of the Constitution)
- The functions of the Islamic Council shall be:
- to make recommendations to Majlis-e-Shoora (Parliament) and the Provincial Assemblies as to the ways and means of enabling and encouraging the Muslims of Pakistan to order their lives individually and collectively in all respects in accordance with the principles and concepts of Islam as enunciated in the Holy Qur’an and Sunnah;
- to advise a House, a Provincial Assembly, the President or a Governor on any question referred to the Council as to whether a proposed law is or is not repugnant to the Injunctions of Islam;
- to make recommendations as to the measures for bringing existing laws into conformity with the Injunctions of Islam and the stages by which such measures should be brought into effect; and
- to compile in a suitable form, for the guidance of Majlis-e-Shoora(Parliament) and the Provincial Assemblies, such Injunctions of Islam as can be given legislative effect.
.Where is the feminist outrage? I hear the sound of ….. absolute silence.